Sunday, January 16, 2011

Sally d' Montana meets Hannah Montana (almost)

I decided to get my exercise while walking up St. Charles Avenue to the Tulane University campus, and maybe buy a sweatshirt at the bookstore. (even though my "how to look young and hip" book says that for women of a certain age, college sweatshirts are a no-no.) I noticed today that the trees all along the avenue are decorated with Mardi Gras beads from last year's parade  -  faded reminders of good times past.

                                          The filming was here-red buildings,Loyola, gray,Tulane."
                      

As I approach the campus I see at least 20 huge trucks parked on the avenue. The nice city police tell me that they are all for the filming of a movie. As I head for the bookstore I am told that I have to wait until "CUT!" is yelled before I may proceed across the green. There are students everywhere. There are huge blow-up bouncy toy things. There are stages set up with sorority types (with painted faces) doing dances,and boys playing football and other games. People are dressed like it's warm, but it's not. I stopped to chat with 2  girls who are "extras" getting about $10/hour for 8 hours. They are to look like they are having fun. Suddenly, the filming starts again and the girls say "You're going to be in the movie!" But, no, I don't want to steal the show from Miley, who has on a warm jacket, of course, so I move on.



The bookstore is not open yet, so I finally get back to St.Charles via a "service" alley behind one of the buildings. It is hidden from elegant St. Charles by a huge bunch of Bamboo. We could hide a lot of things in Montana if we only could grow Bamboo. I take the streetcar back to the apartment.

Boo is going to drive to Baton Rouge to fix his mother's TV which is on the brink and OMG what if she misses a football game? He will also pick up hot tamales which she has been craving. (She's 94-ain't she great!)

He drops me off at a bead shop on Magazine where I buy a Fleur d'Lis pendant and a few other goodies and then a brioche suisse-YUM.YUM! at the gorgeous bakery next door.




I take the streetcar to BORDERS where I hang around doing what I like to do, but having to vie for the cushy chairs with old dudes who are taking full-out naps. That's just not right.

Well, I'm exhausted from writing in present tense.

No comments:

Post a Comment